One of Baofeng’s noteworthy handheld radio models, the Baofeng UV-9R or Baofeng UV-9R Plus, is a device you’d like to bring for outdoor activities. It prides itself on being waterproof and dustproof. It comes with a long-lasting rechargeable battery that can last more than 20 hours. The Baofeng UV-9R is built with comfortable buttons and features a built-in flashlight that is useful when you’re in dark vicinities. It’s ergonomic and versatile since you can use it anywhere, including shopping malls, hotels, and restaurants. If you want to more about this device, I have written this in-depth review of the Baofeng UV-9R.
- Brand: Baofeng
- Range: 6 miles
- Power output: 8 Watts
- Frequency ranges: 65-108 MHz (FM radio reception), VHF: 136-174 MHz (Rx/TX), UHF: 400-520 MHz (Rx/TX)
- Battery: 2,200 mAh Li-ion Battery
- Size: 5.26 x 2.52 x 1.63 inches
- Weight: 0.62 lb
- Waterproof: yes (IP67)
- License needed: yes (amateur / FCC license)
Scope of Delivery
The package includes the main UV-9R Plus unit and an antenna that you need to mount to the main body. There is a 2200 mAh Li-ion battery and an earpiece to help you hear the messages coming from the radio. Just like most Baofeng portable radios, the Baofeng UV-9R also has its own sling and belt clip, which you can attach if you want to. The instructions for the assembly are all in the user manual that is included in the package.
This walkie talkie doesn’t arrive completely assembled. You have to set it up yourself. But don’t worry because the assembly is straightforward.
First, you have to install the battery by aligning and sliding the battery upwards, following through the guide rails found at the back of the device. When you hear a click, the battery is locked in place. The second is to place the antenna by rotating it downwards in a clockwise direction. If possible, don’t touch the antenna’s topmost part while attaching it to avoid bad reception. You can also plug in the external micro-headset to the jack labeled as “SP & MIC”. And if it’s necessary, you can install the belt clip at the back of the device.
Once the portable radio is assembled, you can start using it. Turn on the knob found beside the antenna. The LCD screen lights up when it’s activated, showing different icons and numbers. Program the walkie talkie by choosing a channel or entering a frequency number. Press and hold the PTT button to begin the radio transmission, then talk to the microphone to transmit your message. Release the PTT button to receive the message. It’s the basic operation, but check out the user’s manual to help you use it effectively.
As I have previously mentioned, the Baofeng UV-9R is waterproof. It’s one of the best benefits of having this device since not all walkie talkies work when they are wet or submerged into water. However, this is an IP67, which means you can only dip it up to one meter below the water and not farther.
The power source of the Baofeng UV-9R is a 2200mAh, 7.4V Lithium-ion battery. It doesn’t come fully charged, so you have to charge it for five hours before its initial use. When it’s fully loaded, the device can last up to 20 hours. On the screen, you will see a Battery Level Indicator. It will warn you when the radio doesn’t have enough power. Always check the icon so that you’ll know when to charge the Baofeng UV-9R.
The longest range of the Baofeng UV-9R is 8-10 kilometers. It’s not like the high-level radios, which has a coverage of 30-40 kilometer. Just make sure that it’s fully charged so that you can use it with maximum output.
There are three frequency ranges that the Baofeng UV-9R uses. These are the following:
- 65-108MHz for FM radio reception
- 136-174MHz for VHF
- 400-520MHz for UHF
It has 128 channels in its memory, but you can still save 120 to 499 new channels on the device. When it comes to the license, there is no mention that you need to get one. You can use it for commercial uses, but only when you’re looking for FM signals. But to play it safe, ask the regulating body in your local community if you need to get a license for the Baofeng UV-9R. It is much better to get authorization than getting fined or going to jail for illegally transmitting signals.
For an entry-level walkie talkie, the Baofeng UV-9R has many features that make it an outstanding device. Aside from being waterproof and dustproof, these are the other major features of this digital mobile radio.
- VOX or Voice Operated Transmission
- Works to activate transmission by detecting the user’s voice automatically. After speaking, the transmission ends, and the transceiver receives the signal right away.
- Auto Keypad Lock (AUTOLK)
- Setting this feature automatically locks the keypads.
- Dual-Band, Display, and Standby
- Allows the user to operate or work with two frequencies.
- High-Low Power Switchover
- Switches the radio’s power level from high to low or vice versa.
- Low Battery Warning and Battery Saving
- If the battery becomes low, you’ll see a warning on the screen. Simultaneously, the Battery Saving feature saves the remaining battery power so that you can still use it until you can charge the device.
- Time-out Timer
- Set this to shut off the radio automatically.
- Scanning Function
- Use this to scan through the list of 50 CTCSS and 105 DCS codes. Check the user manual for the codes.
- Busy-Channel Lock
- When one channel is busy, this feature automatically locks the channel to be interrupted.
- Delete Channel
- Allows you to delete a channel, especially when the memory is full.
- Stored Channels
- The device has 128 pre-set channels.
- Built-in Flashlight
- If you’re in a dark vicinity, use the flashlight to see where you’re going.
Now, let’s talk about the price. The Baofeng UV-9R is within the cheap range. It costs $32, which is just right. It’s not a high-end model, but it does pack many features that other entry-level walkie talkies don’t have. It comes with an antenna, a belt clip, a sling, and an earpiece.
It’s perfect for outdoor activities and day-to-day work and grandiose events like corporate parties, grand weddings, and birthday celebrations. Event planners can definitely use this model to maintain communication within the staff while the event is going on. Aside from that, you don’t need a license to use the Baofeng UV-9R.
- Budget-friendly price; you get your money’s worth
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Straightforward assembly; comes with a well-detailed user manual
- It has many useful features for an entry-level walkie talkie
- Excellent sound quality and a reliable battery life
- Commendable transmitting power
- Long-range and wide coverage
- Multiple frequency bands and signal codes
- Built with a voice command
- Has a built-in flashlight for emergencies
- Manual frequency search on Frequency Mode
- It comes with an earpiece
- Not connected to any software
- Shorter range compared to other portable radios
- Can’t lockout frequencies transmitting to a police station or fire station
- Not durable enough
Conclusion – Baofeng UV-9R Review
What can I say about the Baofeng UV-9R? Honest to goodness, I think that the Baofeng UV-9R is a pretty decent walkie talkie for first-time users. I won’t recommend it to licensed users since there are better options to consider.
But with its numerous, top-notch features and affordable price, this portable mobile radio is perfect for internal communication in business establishments like hotels, restaurants, community management, and shopping malls. It’s also an excellent choice for big events like weddings, year-end parties, and corporate events, to name a few.
I commend the Baofeng UV-9R for being waterproof and dustproof. Not all walkie talkies work when they get wet or have been exposed to too much dust. Overall, this model is definitely worth the price.
Where can I find a manual for the Baofeng UV-9R?
If you visit the company’s website, you’ll not find this product and its user manual. However, I tried to look for other sources and found this: https://www.genkin.name/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Baofeng_UV-9R_users-manual.pdf.
Best Lists with this Walkie Talkie