Smartphones are generally the most popular portable communication devices that provide 24-hour access to messages, video chats, and phone calls. However, like any other gadget, these fancy radios have an Achilles heel. Without a network of cellular towers nearby, phones are totally useless.
One way to possibly communicate in areas with scanty coverage is with the use of a walkie-talkie. When it comes to two-way radios, Midland is a popular brand favored by many users. If you are looking for a simple yet reliable communication device when you are hunting, camping, or doing other outdoor activities, Midland LXT630VP3 Two-Way Radio is undoubtedly the best unit for you.
- Brand: Midland
- Range: ~ 30 miles
- Power output: 450 mW on FRS / 740 mW on GMRS
- Frequency ranges: 462-467 MHz (FRS/GMRS)
- Battery: rechargeable batteries or 3 AAA Alkaline batteries
- Size: 2.2 x 6.1 x 1.3 inches
- Weight: not stated
- Waterproof: no, but it is water-resistant
- License needed: yes, if GMRS channels will be used (FCC license)
Scope of Delivery
When you order a Midland LXT630VP3 radio device, you will receive an unopened and brand new item in its original packaging. It also comes with several accessories included. Upon ordering, you need to know the basic inclusions of the package and relevant information about the model. With this, you will be able to check if accessories are complete and confirm if the device is within its description when the box package is delivered to your doorstep.
Below are the basic accessories that come with the Midland LXT630VP3:
- A pair of Midland LXT630VP3 Two-Way Radios
- Rechargeable batteries
- Belt clips
- AC adapter
- Charging dock
- User guide manual
Setting up a device can be pretty frustrating, especially to those non-technical individuals. Fortunately, a user guide manual is included in the package when you buy this Midland LXT630VP3 two-way radio.
Basically, FRS radio can be used right out of the box without an FCC license. You will just need to insert the rechargeable batteries included in the box after being charged for 12 hours, or you can use 3 AAA batteries. Then, turn on the device and choose channels to use.
Though the Midland LXT630VP3 is not waterproof, its outer shell is water-resistant. As advertised, light drizzle and accidental splashes won’t cause any damages to your unit. Just take into account to always use a belt clip when getting near a large body of water to protect the device from being submerged.
The Midland LXT630VP3 box comes with a rechargeable battery pack that can be used to power the device. One of the great features of this radio is that it also accepts 3 AAA batteries. So, as long as you bring extra AAAs with you, there is no need for a power outlet.
Moreover, it has a 6-hour rechargeable battery life. Once the battery is drained, the HI/LO power setting included in the radio saves battery backup.
Equipped with the Xtreme range, the Midland LXT630VP3 gets up to 30 miles of coverage. It can cover long range communication in open areas with no obstruction. FRS channels need ½ watt while GMRS is capable of 1-2 watts to reach the said distance range.
The Midland LXT630VP3 operates on an Ultra High-Frequency Band. The device uses a frequency range of 462-467 MHz (UHF).
It boasts 36 FRS channels with 121 privacy codes to effectively block out other transmissions and easily screen out channels. Channel combinations possibly amount to 2,662.
As for FRS radio, no FCC license is required for channels 8-14. However, if you wish to reach a long-range distance, you should use a GMRS two-way radio. With GMRS, an FCC license is needed for all channels except 8-14.
- Ergonomic Design:
- The Midland LXT630VP3 offers an ergonomic design with a lightweight structure. Its bright yellow color makes it easy to spot in case you drop it or misplace it.
- In addition, it has a rubberized exterior that is sturdy and durable, which protects the device from shock caused by accidental falls.
- VOX Function:
- The voice operating function of the Midland LXT630VP3 has three sensitivity levels which allow a hands-free operation. It is especially useful when you can’t hold the two-way radio in one hand while doing a task.
- Weather Scan and Weather Alert:
- Other amazing features of Midland LXT630VP3 two-way radio include NOAA weather alerts. It will notify you if there is severe weather approaching your area.
- In addition, this model provides 10 weather band channels you can tune into to keep you updated with weather forecasts and any changes in weather.
- Silent Operation:
- This feature is particularly useful when you are in a certain situation when the tones of the device are too loud. Like other two-way radios, the Midland LXT630VP3 allows you to switch to vibrate mode and turn off all alert tones.
- Auto Squelch control:
- The auto squelch feature of Midland LXT630VP3 provides an immediate reduction of background noise or silencing interference.
- HI/LO Power Setting:
- This model provides you options to operate on high power or low power settings that can be used to conserve battery life.
Known for its reliable and affordable price, the Midland LXT630VP3 costs about $70 with all the package inclusions, which can be considered a low price compared to other two-way radio products.
The Midland LXT630VP3 is a popular radio because its solid features and simple functionality set at a relatively reasonable price. It is a great product with a satisfactory performance at a low price.
- Ergonomic design with a lightweight structure
- Offers 36 FRS channels with 121 privacy codes
- Covers a maximum distance range of 30 miles
- Easy and simple functionality
- No need for FCC licence for FRS radio to operate
- Water resistant
- Provide efficient and private communication
- Has premium features with a reasonable price
- Device is not waterproof
- Battery does not last long
- Battery level indicator does not show battery level properly
Conclusion – Midland LXT630VP3 Review
In conclusion, Midland is a well-known brand that offers high-quality products that are popular with many users because it is priced attractively. One of their products, Midland LXT630VP3, is a versatile and durable two-way radio device that comes in handy and is great for outdoor use. It provides long-range communication, simple functionality, and solid power at a very reasonable price.
It also offers great features such as hands-free operation, weather alerts, an extender for battery life, 36 FRS channels, and a 30-mile range.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly but offers immense quality, Midland LXT630VP3 is a decent choice for you. Backed up with an extended three-year warranty, you can be certain that you are getting a first-rate two-way radio.
Where can I find a manual for the Midland LXT630VP3?
The user manual can be downloaded at this link. You can contact the site if your model is not listed.