For those having a rather active outdoor lifestyle, the Cobra RX680 might be just for you. Built to last with its consumer on its mind, this small walkie talkie is perfect for outdoor travels such as hiking, camping, and the sort. The Cobra RX680 is sturdy, reliable, and built to survive extreme conditions with its tough build. It has a built-in NOAA radio receiver that allows you to tune in to 10 weather channels on the go.
These rugged walkie talkies from cobra also offer long-range crystal-clear transmissions and antennas with a range of up to 38 miles, making it a well-recommended choice for any individual looking for a good walkie talkie that’s right for their budgets.
- Brand: Cobra
- Range: 38 miles
- Power output: 2 watts
- Frequency ranges: 462.550-467.7125 MHz
- Battery: 2 Lithium-Polymer Batteries
- Size: 15 x 2.4 x 3.2 Inches
- Weight: 0.76 lb
- Waterproof: yes (IP54)
- License needed: no
Scope of Delivery
The COBRA RX680 is delivered in a set of two. It comes with 2 Belt Clips, a Micro USB cable, a dock charger, and rechargeable Li-Ion batteries. So you got all you need to use the walkie talkie.
The Cobra RX680’s basic functions are quite easy to use, but its other features and specifications can be a bit complicated to access. You will need a thorough understanding of the unit for this. However, once learned, the device will be extremely useful to you in more ways than you can imagine. Please see below for better familiarity with the device’s controls and functions.
Please be informed, though, that I will only be discussing the basic functions and operation needed to have the device running. Mastery of its other functions will completely depend on you.
Note: Before operating the radio, please do not forget to read all safety and operating instructions in the manual to understand the device better.
- Battery Installation
- To install or remove the batteries from the walkie talkie, face the backside of the device. Using a flat head screwdriver or the edge of a coin (preferably a quarter), carefully remove the screw that is securing the battery panel. Once this is done, open the battery compartment and connect the battery’s connector to the socket of the radio or if you are replacing the battery, disconnect the connector and remove the battery, then replace it with the new batteries.
- Make sure the battery connectors are tucked in completely in the hole found at the bottom. After this, carefully reattach the battery compartment cover and reattach the screws.
- Charging the battery
- There two main ways in which you can use to charge the walkie talkie’s batteries: using the micro USB charger port or using a desktop charger. To use the charging port, you need to open the cover protecting it found on the device’s right side and connect the charging cable to the device.
- With the desktop charger, it is easier. You need to place it on the desktop charger. After doing so, insert the micro USB cable into the port on the back of the charger. This will automatically charge the device placed on the desktop charger. If the walkie talkie is not charging, realign the device until the charging light on the desktop charger is turned.
- Turning the device on/ Volume adjustment
- To turn the device on, turn the knob found on the top right of the walkie talkie counterclockwise. If you wish to turn it off, turn the knob counterclockwise. Be informed that the power on & off knob also acts as a volume knob used to adjust the sound volume emitted from the walkie talkie once the device is turned on.
- Communicating with another person
- To communicate with another person, all you need to do is press and hold the Talk button. Once done, this will transmit your voice to the other line connected to the same channel as you do. Once you’re done talking, release the Talk button and listen for any response.
The Cobra RX680 has an IP54 water-resistant rating. This means that the device is protected partially from dust and can handle water splashes from any direction. Although the walkie talkie is somewhat protected against water exposure, it is still not advisable to submerge the walkie talkie underwater.
Its rubber build may give off the impression that it is fully protected, but the Cobra RX680 is not created to resist full submersion or heavy exposure to water currents.
This rugged walkie talkie can easily last 18-hours of uninterrupted use on a full battery charge. It takes about 8 hours to fully charge the batteries when using the walkie talkie for the first time. It is highly recommended that the walkie talkie be turned off to prevent damaging the unit permanently when charging the device.
According to the manufacturer’s product information, the Cobra RX680 rugged walkie talkie has a range (at best) of about 38 miles on the assumption that the device is being used on an open field. If there are obstacles present, this may affect the walkie talkie’s expected maximum range. That may the case be, Cobra RX680 still is a very capable long-range walkie talkie as it is considered as one of the best long-range walkie talkies available in the market in 2021.
This device has a frequency of around 462.550-467.7125 MHz, which can be seen in the product manual. This is the standard range of most walkie talkie under the 3-watt category. And since it is under the 3-watt category, this walkie talkie can be used even without a license as it is compliant with the set of standards provided by ISEDC. This model also supports 60 channels in which channels 1 to 22 is compatible with other two-way radios in the market.
- Can cover up to 38 miles of distance:
- Cobra RX680 boasts a long-range with a range of about 38 miles. Even by standards, for a walkie talkie of this caliber, this is already quite good. This is a good assurance that no matter how far both parties are separated, they can still stay connected without any problems.
- Has a built-in NOAA radio receiver:
- Be informed on any disaster-related updates and make your trips safer. With its NOAA radio receiver, this walkie talkie can receive alerts and weather changes on the go.
- Supports VOX (Voice Activated Transmission):
- VOX is a handy feature, especially for individuals who wish to operate their walkie talkies hands-free and on the go. When going for a hike, there will be times when your hands must be used for doing something else. With this feature, it makes things so much easier. VOX works by automatically transmitting the signal when you speak without having to hold the Talk button. You can also set the sensitivity for this feature in the device’s settings.
- Privacy Codes:
- The Cobra RX680 radio also has a feature that reduces interference from any other sources on a given channel. This works by having both walkie talkies tuned to the same channel, privacy code system, and privacy code number. The device supports CTCSS and DCS privacy systems giving it access to a total of 121 privacy codes.
- LED Flashlight:
- Another great feature of this model is its built-in flashlight. This device makes this device an indispensable communication necessity and a device to help you in the dark, making it much more valuable. You can turn on the flashlight by pressing on the Flashlight button found on the left side of the walkie talkie.
- Has Speaker/Microphone/Charger Jack:
- As the device also supports earphones, this makes the VOX feature so much more convenient. You do not have to clip the walkie talkie somewhere near your mouth for better audio clarity on the receiving side with this feature. All you need to do is fix an earphone to it, and then you can safely place your device in the comfort of your pockets or backpack.
- Rechargeable batteries:
- The device comes with a rechargeable battery with it. This means that once the battery drops to zero, unlike some walkie talkies in the market, you won’t have to replace it with another set of batteries. If needed, the batteries on this device can be removed and replaced so much easier than the built-in walkie talkies in the market nowadays.
- VibrAlert and Call Alert capable:
- The device gives you an option to put the walkie talkie on silent, have it on vibrate, or have it ring during or have it do both when alerting you of an incoming call. You can also set the call tone you wish to use in the device’s settings.
- Emergency Call capabilities:
- You never know when you might need to use that emergency feature function. And trust me on this, this feature is more useful than it seems. This works by enabling this feature on the device’s setting so that by simply pressing and holding the Emergency button for 3 seconds, you can send a signal to the members of your group for when you need urgent help.
- Has Belt Clips:
- With this feature, the device can easily be latched on to your belt and/or bag conveniently and without a hitch.
The Cobra RX680 is priced at around $80.00 to $90.00 apiece. This is a good bargain given the set of specs and features it offers. You can purchase this online via external sources like Amazon, Walmart, and the such.
- Small size
- Has an ultra-clear reception
- Has a proximity range of 38 miles
- Does not need a license to use
- Has an earphone/ microphone jack
- Supports 60 channels
- Has access to Radio updates via its NOAA radio receiver
- Has a built-in LED flashlight
- Can be a bit pricey for some
- The complexity of setting personalization if you wish to customize the device
- Has no included charging brick in the box
Conclusion – COBRA RX680 Review
The Cobra RX680 is certainly a good choice for those who want to invest in a good walkie talkie for personal use. The set of features it offers is almost subpar with the high-end two-way radios being offered in the market nowadays. It is definitely worth every penny you spend. However, although I recommend this, it can be a bit pricey.
For those who wish to purchase a cheaper walkie talkie and are willing to sacrifice a few of the features that this device comes with, there are certainly many cheaper options that you can find in the market.
Where can I find a manual for the Cobra RX680?
You can find a manual here: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1629097/Cobra-Microtalk-Rx680.html#product-microTALK%20RX680.
Best Lists with this Walkie Talkie
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Hunting
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Security
- The 5 best waterproof Walkie-Talkies
- The 7 best Walkie Talkies for a Cruise Ship