There are various brands and types of communication devices worldwide, and each one has something unique to offer for any user. If you’re on the lookout for a functional item for wireless communication, why not take a not on the Motorola CP185?
Motorola champions itself in offering products that provide full function without sacrificing comfort. The Motorola CP185 doesn’t lack features that boost its abilities among other devices in the market. For direct communication uses, the Motorola CP185 Portable Two-Way Radio may be the solution to your problem.
- Brand: Motorola
- Range: not stated
- Power output: up to 5 watts
- Frequency ranges: 136-174 MHz (VHF); 435-480 MHz (UHF)
- Battery: Lithium-ion rechargeable Battery
- Size: 4.72 x 2.28 x 1.46 inches
- Weight: 0.77 lbs
- Waterproof: yes (IP54)
- License needed: yes (FCC License)
Scope of Delivery
The Motorola CP185 comes in a box with the Motorola logo in front. The package comes with the following inclusions:
- 1 unit of Motorola CP185 Portable Radio
- CP185 Quick Reference Guide
- Li-Ion battery
- Belt clip
- 2 charger cords
- Charger information guide booklet
Other accessories are optional and readily available on the Motorola Website. Note that not all audio and carry accessory pieces are compatible with the model. It’s best to check the given information for accessory parts you want to include in the package.
Once the package arrives, put the batteries in the Motorola CP185 device. Make sure to put the correct end of the battery on the back of the device. Next, turn on the device using the on/off/volume control knob located at the top of the unit.
When the package arrives, software installation and setup is the first step to make the walkie-talkie work. Perform the initial installation of the device on a Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 desktop.
The Motorola CP185 is not waterproof. And however, it is IP54, MIL-STD rated. The device has a high level of protection against dust particles and has proper protection against water. The radio device meets up to demanding conditions and use.
The Motorola CP185 has a standard lithium-ion 1500 mAh battery that can last up to 11 hours of usage. The 11 hours of use can cover a 5/5/90 duty cycle (5% receive, 5% transmit, 90% standby).
Charging time takes up to 3 hours (at most) for a full battery charge using the model charger that comes with the device.
Many factors change the range of two-way radio devices. Thus, there is no specific information on the maximum capacity a CP185 can cover.
Path obstructions cause the range and signals to deviate. As such, the device may reach up to 6 miles in an open field, while it can only cover up to 2 miles in urban settings. The Motorola CP185 needs 5 Watts to reach that distance range.
The Motorola CP185 operates on Very High Frequency and Ultra High-Frequency bands. The bands of the device come in the frequency range of 136-174 MHz (VHF) and 435-480 MHz (UHF) and get up to 16 channels.
FCC License is necessary for two-way radio products. As the Motorola CP185 is a two-way radio, it has an RF Exposure Product Label that requires an FCC License. There are instructions on the proper use of the device to meet occupational requirements and avoid potential hazards from frequent exposure.
The 25 kHz channels are not available in the United States of America.
- Convenient Design:
- The Motorola CP185 boasts a compact and lightweight design that comes in two forms: the Limited Keypad (LKP) and the No Keypad (NKP). You can choose an LKP with a small screen or an NKP model, both of which are convenient and easy to use.
- VOX Function:
- The CP185 boasts of a Voice Activated function to allow for hands-free communication using the device. Multi-purpose and multi-functionality don’t mean you need to let go of other work to use the device.
- MDC1200 Signaling:
- Privacy and security are the top factors that make for safe communication. Luckily, the CP185 has the MDC1200 Signalling for device deactivation for lost or stolen walkie-talkies.
- The voice scrambling feature allows for more private communication. Privacy doesn’t need to be an issue when you speak or receive messages.
- The Motorola CP185 also allows for features such as caller IDs and caller tone alerts for easy identification. If you work with many people in the channel network, you don’t need to second guess who you are speaking with.
- Auto Squelch:
- The Motorola CP185 also has an auto squelch function to modify or eradicate weak signals. With the CP185, you only need to hear sound when there is a strong signal present.
- Programmable Buttons:
- With 5 buttons, you can program the function of the CP185 according to your work. You may choose up to 10 user-selected features to program to the device buttons.
- There are up to 16 channels that the device supports. Increase the ease of communication between employees and CP185 users with various channels available.
- X-Pand Technology:
- Audio capacities are critical with radio devices like the Motorola CP185. Now, you have solid and audible sound quality even within noisy environments.
- Power levels for battery life:
- The Motorola CP185 lasts up to 11 hours of use with its standard Li-Ion battery. You may choose to add other high-capacity and compatible battery units to power the device for more hours.
- Repeater Capacity:
- If you’re looking to increase coverage with the device, it supports repeater capacities.
- Talkaround feature:
- The Talkaround feature allows for communication if there is no repeater working with the Motorola CP185. You can switch between Repeater mode or Talkaround mode operations easily.
- Strong Interference Rejection:
- Signal interference can make any two-way radio device useless. With the Motorola CP185’s -70dB channel selectivity, you can reject other vital signals. You can send your message clearly without interference.
- Military Standard rated:
- The Motorola CP185 can withstand demanding conditions, and the device has passed inspected Military 810 C, D, E, and F standards. You have a durable communication device on the palm of your hands that can last a lot of use and various conditions.
- Multiple accessories portfolio:
- There are many accessories you can choose from for the Motorola CP185. Be sure to check for compatibility to ensure smooth operations that enhance CP185 work.
The Motorola CP185 costs around $265 for a standard package with the primary inclusions. Motorola has many product series for two-way radios, and the price points of the Motorola CP185 are medium compared to other two-way radio products.
The performance, on the other hand, is very good for its price. The various features and flexibilities of the Motorola CP185 include much functionality for a device that boasts an average price point.
- Includes all necessary functions for seamless organizational communication
- Privacy and security are strong features for the CP185
- Smooth ease of use even for non-technical people who haven’t used a walkie-talkie
- Portable and durable communication device that you can attach via a belt clip
- Real-time communication with minima signal interference
- Affordable product that has enhanced functionality given its price
- Accessories are not part of the basic inclusions
- Daily charging is necessary for continuous use
- Warranty only covers up to two years from the date of purchase
Conclusion – Motorola CP185 Review
The Motorola CP185 is one of Motorola’s entry two-way radios you can use for organizational communication. Whether you are running a department, an enterprise, or a group of people that need a communication device, the Motorola CP185 is one of the best starters you can consider.
The features and the design of the Motorola CP185 cater to the potential needs of seamless communication. The device covers the slightest nuances that make wireless communication feel safer and well-protected from prying ears.
The two-year warranty guarantees that Motorola covers your concerns anywhere from the date of use to the next two years of the device’s lifespan. You can’t beat the support and the affordability that the Motorola CP185 brings to the table.
Where can I find a manual for the Motorola CP185?
To access the user manual for the Motorola CP185, click here.
Which accessories for the Motorola CP185 are helpful?
- D-Style Earpiece (PMLN4620)
- Mag One Ear Receiver (PMLN4442)
- PMLN6597 Charger Ports (for multiple CP185 device charging)