No one can refute the reality that smartphones are extremely efficient. It has become a necessity for many individuals. But while it helps to alleviate some of life’s burdens, it also has limitations that are inevitable.
Without a local network of cellular towers, smartphones are completely worthless. Good thing walkie-talkies still thrive up to this day which can be handy in areas with limited service. Whether you need a walkie-talkie for your business or for doing activities outdoors, the compact yet reliable Motorola SL300 is surely the perfect unit for you.
- Brand: Motorola
- Range: 10 miles
- Power output: 3 watts (UHF) and 2 watts (VHF)
- Frequency ranges: 403-470 MHz (UHF); 136-174 MHz (VHF)
- Battery: 2200 mAh Li-ion Rechargeable Battery Packs
- Size: 4.95 x 2.17 x 0.87 inches
- Weight: 0.37 lbs
- Waterproof: yes (IP54)
- License needed: yes (FCC license)
Scope of Delivery
Motorola is a brand known for including several essential accessories in order to make communication simple and effective. With this, the Motorola SL300 comes standard with all the basic inclusions listed below.
- Motorola SL300 Digital Portable Two Way Radio
- Standard 1800 mAh Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery
- Antenna with Advanced Range Technology
- Radio Holster
- Battery Door Cover
- USB Micro Wall Charger
- 2 Year Motorola Warranty
Trying to set up a gadget may be a tedious experience, especially for non-technical people. Fortunately, when you purchase the Motorola SL300 two-way radio, you will also receive a user handbook manual. This will make the process of setting up much easier.
Furthermore, it is important to turn the device off and charge it for at least 15 hours to maintain optimal efficiency. It is also crucial to use a Motorola-certified charger to ensure conformity with the brand’s specifications.
The SL300 boasts of the IP54 rating. This means that the device is dust and splash-resistant. Thus, it is ideal for outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and the likes.
The Motorola SL300 comes with a 2200 mAh Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Packs that is extremely long-lasting. The device has up to 15 hours of battery life per charge.
Additionally, the battery of this handheld radio can be replaced if necessary. It works with a wide range of high-capacity and ultra-high capacity batteries. It is wise to note, though, that only approved Motorola batteries should be used.
The Motorola SL300 includes 99 channels that offer easy communication with people miles away. This two-way radio works on analog and digital for long-distance connectivity.
Plus, it offers a close to 10 mile range which is unaffected by objects such as trees, houses, cars, and other structures. As it is designed for indoor and outdoor use, it can be utilized in open spaces, offices, and fields.
The SL300 can travel up to 3-5 miles (UHF) or 4-6 miles (VHF) in flat open areas. Meanwhile, range connection in urban areas ranges from 1-2 miles (UHF) or 0.5-1 mile (VHF). Finally, the indoor range is 25-30 floors (UHF) or 10-15 floors (VHF).
This two-way radio works on an Ultra High-Frequency Band and Very High-Frequency Band. The device operates at a frequency of 403-470 MHz (UHF) and 136-174 MHz (VHF).
It features 99 channels and requires an FCC license to operate.
- Ultra Slim Design:
- The Motorola SL300 is designed to be compact and lightweight. It fits perfectly in your purse or pockets and has an ergonomic form that makes it easy to handle with every hand.
- IP54 Rating:
- The IP54 rating applies to this two-way radio. This means the item has been tested for dust and splash resistance. As a result, it is ideal for any outdoor activity.
- Digital/Analog Communication:
- Motorola has been on top of the game for quite a long time and has evolved as a result. Hence, the SL300 works well with both analog and digital modes.
- Squelch Levels:
- Unwanted calls can be blocked by altering the squelch frequency. You can also filter out unwelcome calls and background noises.
- Easy Operation:
- To assist one-handed radio use, the SL300 contains a separate power button, PTT (push to talk) button, volume control buttons, and programmable side button.
- High-Quality Audio Output:
- When it comes to audio quality, this radio is unrivaled. Its sound quality is superior to that of many other handheld radios. The radio’s 500-MW speaker makes it audible even in noisy areas where other radios struggle.
- Innovative Screen Display:
- The SL300 features an advanced screen that displays battery status, current channel, and audio level. When changing channels, the radio displays the channel number followed by the channel name.
- Additionally, it comes with LED illumination. This LED indicator displays a variety of colors, each of which has a particular meaning. A flashing green light indicates that the radio has received a signal and is transmitting, while an orange light indicates that the radio is scanning.
Motorola SL300 is highly-priced, costing up to $295. This two-way radio is a good buy because it allows you to not only vary between frequencies but also whether you want to utilize a digital or analog system.
- Has strong and excellent audio quality
- Has a compact and lightweight structure
- Has a few simple buttons that make it easy to operate
- Integrates easily with both analog and digital systems
- Resistant to dust and splashes
- Ideal for both outdoor and indoor activities
- No Bluetooth
- Tiny screen display
- Needs entitlement ID to access the standard kHz
Conclusion – Motorola SL300 Review
Coming from a well-known brand thriving in the industry for years, the Motorola SL300 is a solid purchase. Its amazing features are enough to deliver distant range communication well suited for both indoor and outdoor events. The SL300 is aggressively designed to keep you efficiently connected, whether you’re camping outdoors or doing business indoors.
Given the fact that it is equipped with a lot of advanced features, it is undeniably quite pricey. Nevertheless, it is worth every penny you spend. So, if you are looking for a compact yet quality two-way radio, Motorola SL300 is a decent choice.
Where can I find a manual for the Motorola SL300?
The user manual can be downloaded at this link.