If you need a low-cost, on-site business radio that doesn’t require any licensing and equipment, then DeWalt DXFRS300 is a great option. This simple and easy-to-use business radio has many great features and can be purchased as a six-pack bundle. It is affordable, especially if you are on a budget and just need a radio that doesn’t require setup fees, licensing fees, or monthly fees. It is best used for businesses such as restaurants, retail shops, hotel front desk, and groceries.
With the DeWalt name, I was intrigued with how this radio will fare compared to other brands. This review will give the lowdown on the DeWalt DFRS300, particularly its specs, battery, range, frequencies, price, and other noteworthy features.
- Brand: DeWalt
- Range: up to 250,000 sq. ft.
- Power output: 1 watt
- Frequency ranges: 462-467 MHz (FRS)
- Battery: 1,000 mAH rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery
- Size: 6.22 x 2.37 x 2.15 inches
- Weight: 0.66 lb (without batteries)
- Waterproof: yes (IP67)
- License needed: no
Scope of Delivery
The radio has an antenna and is equipped with a built-in belt clip and a hand strap. I found it easy to carry, and it fits in my hand perfectly. This walkie-talkie allows the use of surveillance earphones, speakers, and microphones for hands-free operation. They recommend that the user limit the amount of time using the earphone at high-volume levels. Microphones are not included in the package, though. A user manual is provided for easy reference.
This heavy-duty walkie-talkie comes in a set of 6 with a gang charger. This cordless, durable walkie-talkie is easy to use and has intuitive features. The proof of this is when I used it for the first time, I instinctively knew what to do right away. When it is ready to use, just press the large on and off knob. When you’re ready to talk, just press the easy-to-operate push-to-talk button located on the front face of the radio. When it is on, the radio chirps, and its display screen shows the current channel and all the enabled features.
The DeWalt DXFRS300 is waterproof and dustproof with an IP67 standard, which means that it gets protection from sprays and splashes of water in all directions. I dropped it at 2 meters to check it still works, and it lived up to its promise. The unit can also withstand being immersed in water that’s 1-meter deep for 30 minutes.
Each walkie-talkie is powered by a 1,000 mAH rechargeable Lithium Polymer Battery. The batteries can be recharged using rechargers. To recharge, just insert the cable into the charge jack on the radio’s left side. Battery charge lasts for up to 12 to 18 hours within normal operating conditions.
Equipped with 2,662 channel combinations, it has a very clear long-distance reception. The range is up to 250,000 feet, but it will vary slightly depending on conditions and terrain. Many users say that it can pick up to 3 miles in the woods, with various trees and hills in-between. I tested the radios in a job site with a mechanical room with lots of machines, concrete, and steel, and the team and I were able to communicate clearly and flawlessly.
The unit has a total of preset channels. To minimize unwanted interference from others, the channels are preset with 121 privacy codes. It has 83 DCS codes and 38 CTCSS codes. It operates on 22 FRS channels. UHF/FM frequency bands are used, and there are no license or service fees needed. This means that users get high-quality band frequencies with no fees.
- VOX Function:
- The VOX transmission allows the hands to be free to do other tasks.
- This walkie-talkie has a superb anti-slip design and it can withstand a drop of 2 meters.
- Key Lock:
- When this feature is activated, it provides keypad security. This means that accidental channel changes are eliminated.
- Auto Squelch:
- This feature shuts off weak transmissions automatically. It also shuts off unwanted noise because of range or terrain constraints.
- Roger Beep Tone:
- A confirmation tone indicates the completion of the user’s transmission, signaling other users that they are free to talk.
- Viber alert:
- To notify the user of incoming transmissions, it is equipped with a Viber alert feature.
- LCD Display:
- Users can take a look at the easy-to-view display, which informs them of the radio’s status in one glance.
- Power Saver:
- The life of the device is extended using a unique circuit. If within 10 seconds there are no transmissions, the unit will switch automatically to battery save mode.
- Volume knob:
- The units are equipped with this feature to allow users to adjust the volume level easily.
- Anti-slip design:
- The rubber grips help prevent users from dropping the radio
- Extended run-time:
- Users can continue using the walkie-talkies for an extra 12 hours. It has 90% standby, 5% talk, 5% listen.
The set of 6 walkie-talkies is retailed at $299.99, which makes it $49.99 per unit. This falls within the mid-range price category. It is backed up by the DeWalt name, which is synonymous with high-quality performance and durable design – and it lives up to its brand name. For its price, this walkie-talkie is well worth it. With all its features and its durable design, it provides excellent value for your money.
- Great range
- No licensing or service fees required
- Amazing rugged and ergonomic design. Even if you drop it frequently, it still works!
- Good volume control
- It is user-friendly
- It has a lifetime warranty.
- The battery charge is long-lasting
- Audio quality is not as crystal clear compared to other devices in its class
- A design flaw breaks the antenna housing easily
- Plastic clips behind the radio are not held securely and repeated movement over time might weaken the tab.
Conclusion – DeWalt DXFRS300 Review
When you’re looking for walkie-talkies suitable for a small business, everything you can ask for is right here. It is a rechargeable, long-range, two-way radio that is shock-resistant and waterproof. If your business is on a budget and wants to avoid paying licensing fees, this walkie-talkie is worth every dollar. It offers a simple solution for small, single-site companies, contractors, and other organizations. Getting the six-pack walkie-talkie includes the gang charger. With its full range of features, affordable cost, durability, and superb design, DeWalt DXFRS300 deliver on every level.
Where can I find a Manual for the DeWalt DXFRS300?
Here is the link to the 13-page DeWalt DXFRS300 Owner’s Manual
Best Lists with this Walkie Talkie
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Construction
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Emergency
- The 5 best Walkie-Talkies for Industrial Use
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Mountains
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for Preppers
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies without License
Comparisons with this Walkie Talkie