Walkie talkies are the popular go-to gear for trekkers, security personnel, and hobbyists. Not only are they easy to use, but they are also perfect for daily use and the outdoors. It’s convenient because it’s lightweight, portable, and easy to configure. When it comes to durable and long-range walkie talkies, Midland T71VP3 is the way to go. Here is a detailed review of Midland T71VP3 to choose whether it’s for you or not.
- Brand: Midland
- Range: 38 miles
- Power output: 1.5 watts
- Frequency ranges: 462-467 MHz (FRS)
- Battery: rechargeable batteries or 3 AA Alkaline batteries
- Size: 6.1 x 2.6 x 1.4 inches
- Weight: 0.39 lb
- Waterproof: no, but water-resistant
- License needed: no (exclusive for FRS use only)
Scope of Delivery
The package includes a Pair of Radios, Belt Clips, Rechargeable Battery Packs, a Desktop Charger, AC Wall Adapter, Micro USB Charging Cable, and the Owner’s Manual.
The Midland T71VP3 is a standard-looking radio with finger-sized control and buttons. It’s minimalist by design but maximizes its use via the controls and buttons. It is lightweight and built compactly, making it ideal if you prefer portability for a walkie-talkie device. Another thing, the belt clip is wrapped around the device. It has two chargers – one for desktop charging and another for standard charging. It comes with a manual, which I find descriptive.
All walkie talkie devices have almost the same setup, and Midland T71VP3 is not an exception. When installing a battery, you have to remove the belt clip first before removing the battery cover. When installed, bring back the belt clip and turn on the device to start. The user manual contains everything you need to know. The controls can be a lot, but using it will get easier once you familiarize how to do it.
Midland T71VP3 is a water-resistant UHF radio, but it does not fall under any IP categories. It’s safe to assume that it is suitable for land and indoor use and not fully submerge it into the water to prevent damage.
Midland T71VP3 has a dual battery feature. You can power it with a rechargeable 1000 mAh battery or a “AA” alkaline battery. The 1000 mAh battery lasts up to 15 hours, which is outstanding considering it is rechargeable. Its battery life is remarkable compared to other brands. A desktop charge and an AC Wall Adapter are the options for charging the device.
When used outdoors, the Midland T71VP3 will survive almost a day’s use, so you don’t have to worry about it running out. But just in case there’s no charging unit in your location, you might want to pack a disposable 3 “AA” battery for a back-up.
Midland T71VP3 can cover up to 38 miles on Xtreme Range – over water or open rural areas. It can reach less than 38 miles depending on the terrain and weather conditions.
It has a power output of 1.5W, which can broadcast for up to 8 floors or within a space of 250,000 square feet. Coverage may also vary depending on the obstructions.
Midland T71VP3 exclusively broadcasts Family Radio Service (FRS) with a frequency range of 462.5625 to 467.7125 MHz in the Ultra High Frequency (UHF) band. Having a UHF band means it has an extensive frequency, which is useful for any outdoor activities.
It also has 36 channels with an additional 14 channels and 121 privacy codes. It’s perfect to use when you’re hiking out with your friends or family, which you can use to communicate and emergency if something goes wrong.
As an FRS exclusive device, it means you don’t need a license to use it.
I recommend Midland T71VP3 when you and your friends want to go out on a hike or any outdoor activities. Here is why:
- Xtreme Range:
- can cover up to 38 miles on an open field with little to no obstructions.
- 2-WAY RADIOS:
- A license-free walkie talkie that has 36 FRS channels with extra 14 channels and 121 privacy codes suitable for private conversations and blocks other conversations.
- NOAA WEATHER SCAN + ALERT:
- This feature allows you to detect the nearest weather channel to notify you whether a storm is coming. It also has an alarm feature if it notices bad weather in your area.
- eVOX HANDS-FREE:
- Suitable if you want to communicate without touching the device.
- Silent Operation:
- it has a silent feature if you don’t want to get disturbed
- HI/LO Power Setting :
- This allows you to adjust your transmission range to save battery life
- Additional Features:
- Battery Life Extender
- Roger Beep
- Monitor Mode
- Realtime Battery Meter
- Backlit LCD Screen
- Keypad Security Lock
- Drop-In Charger Ready
- Low Battery Indicator
- Five Call Alerts
- Keypad Tones
- Micro-USB Charging Port
- Headphone Jack
Given its features, Midland T71VP3 is perfect for simple outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, or indoor use. Since it’s an FRS radio, everyone can use this without issuing a license. Besides, you don’t have to worry about battery life, as it can last almost a day.
Midland T71VP3 is available for $79.99 on their official online store. It can be pricey because its features are basic compared to other walkie-talkies, which offer the same price with more benefits. However, you get a good deal for its quality and 3-year warranty.
- 15-hour long battery life
- Long-range for up to 38 miles in an ideal terrain and weather condition
- Compact and lightweight. Makes it a portable walkie-talkie for indoor and simple outdoor activities
- Excellent sound quality
- Water-resistant (no IP rating)
- Ease of use
- Not suitable for extreme activities and weather conditions
- Less coast-efficient compared to other models which offer more features
- No GMRS channels
Conclusion – Midland T71VP3 Review
In a nutshell, the Midland T71VP3 is an excellent buy because of its minimalistic but efficient features. It is what you look for in a basic walkie talkie without sacrificing the quality. The battery life is its greatest strength since people can use it for an extended period without having interruptions. It also comes with a 3-year warranty. But if you’re into extreme sports and activities, this may not be a viable option for you. It can also be pricey. Nonetheless, if this is the walkie talkie you need, why not try it?
Where can I access and read a user’s manual for the Midland X-Talker T71VP3?
You get a manual if you buy a Midland T71VP3. Also, you can find the manual here.
Best Lists with this Walkie Talkie
- The 5 best Walkie-Talkies for Cycling
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies for School
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies under 100$
- The 5 best Walkie Talkies under 200 $
Comparisons with this Walkie Talkie