In 2012, Baofeng released the UV-5R model, which showcases both dual-band and display features. The said model has had enormous success since it was initially released. This Baofeng device is a low-cost ham radio that can help you get started. If you’re a pro, it can even serve as a reliable backup and networking tool. It has a lot to deliver as a low-cost, feature-rich smartphone. This Baofeng UV-5R analysis examines the device’s possibilities and capabilities.View on Amazon*
- Brand: Baofeng
- Range: no information
- Power output: 4 Watts
- Frequency ranges: 65-108 MHz, 136-174 MHz, 400-480 MHz
- Battery: 1,800 mAh Li-ion Battery
- Size: 3.94 x 2.05 x 1.26 inches
- Weight: 0.55 lb
- Waterproof: no
- License needed: yes (amateur / FCC license)
Scope of Delivery
The Baofeng UV-5R comes with:
- 1,800 mAh Li-ion Battery
- UV Band Antenna
- Desktop Charger
- Wrist Strap
- Belt Clip
- User Manual
So you get everything you will need.
For beginners’ frequencies, the said model is legal and does not require certifications. This Baofeng radio can transmit in both narrow bandwidth and wide bandwidth. Behind all these great features, programming the radio device is relatively easy very user-friendly.
Below is a step by step procedure for manually programming a simplex channel:
- Step 1: Press the Variable Frequency Oscillator/Memory option and enter Frequency Mode.
- Step 2: Select the A-Side in the upper section by pressing [A/B]. The handler must use it to configure the radio’s channels, and all B Side-programmed data will not be stored.
- Step 3: Proceed to the [BAND] option and switch it to choose between 136 MHz (Very High Frequency) and 470 MHz (Ultra High Frequency). If the band is mistakenly chosen for the frequency input in Step 5, it automatically cancels the operation.
- Step 4: Disable TDR (2-frequency monitoring) in the [MENU] 7. It is best to turn TDR off when directly programming from the radio.
- Step 5: Input the frequency in the device.
- Step 6: Either input a Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System [CTCSS] at (MENU 13) or a Continuous Digital-Coded Squelch System [DCS] at (MENU 12) code or skip it.
- Step 7: Enter a channel by inputting the channel number in the [MENU] 27.
Unfortunately, despite the great features and abilities of this product, Baofeng UV-5R is not waterproof. But, sure, indeed, it lasts longer with proper handling.
Baofeng UV-5R uses a 1,800 mAh Lithium-ion Battery, which means that on active RX, you should expect to get 6 hours and on standby, approximately 20 hours.
The Baofeng UV-5R is a transceiver, which means it can transmit and receive data. It ranges around 10–20 kilometers with a fully charged battery and in full power mode, depending on obstacles.
It is a compact transceiver with 4-watt power output and has a frequency range of 136 to 174 MHz and 400 to 480 MHz. It’s a small, low-cost HT with a Very High-Frequency receiver band ranging from 65 to 108 MHz, including the standard frequency modulation broadcast band. It’s possible to have two watches and two receptions at the same time. You have complete control over how your device is programmed. Moreover, there are 128 programmable MR channels, and all these frequencies mandate legal documents, especially part-90 license.
This Baofeng handset product has 50 Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System and 104 Digital-Coded System display, double-banded. Moreover, it also features a two-way radio system with high and low decibels per milliwatt power, locking out occupied channels. UV-5R uses a Numerical Lock System that prevents the device from the risk of malfunctioning due to unauthorized access or mismanagement while it is not used.
Besides, this two-way radio has a clear, large LCD with a selectable tri-color background light. More features include danger signals, LED Flashlight: High, and Low switchable radio frequency power. These features are backed up with a manual support program, making it hassle-free to program on a personal computer. Lastly, it supports the use of CHIRP, a free programming tool designed primarily for radios.
The Baofeng UV-5R ranges $29.99 without the shipping fee allocations. Compared to other kinds of walkie talkie, Baofeng UV-5R is worth it for its affordable price that comes with excellent and long-lasting quality.
- Great sound quality
- Powerful and shock-proof battery
- Long-lasting and long-lasting battery
- Free accessible Instructions and a comprehensive owner’s manual
- Great value as a starter radio/walkie talkie
- Powerful Dual Power Amplifier.
- It is a walkie-talkie with Dual-Band Display, Dual Frequency, Display, and Dual-Standby.
- It is PC programmable.
- It is not waterproof
- It could be difficult and unsafe for this radio to survive falls.
- Device configuration can be challenging, particularly for new users.
- This radio runs for amateur radio bands uses only.
- Because of the amateur radio bands, it requires to amateur radio license to transmit
- Not applicable for commercial uses
Conclusion – Baofeng UV-5R Review
The Baofeng UV-5R is challenging to pass up at its affordable price and specifications. The UV-5R is a flexible unit that can be used as a backup unit for professionals or a starter unit for beginners who don’t want to spend a lot of money. It suits different purposes and is perfect for all types of users. Although it has some flaws, as I’ve already said, the overall impression from this Baofeng UV-5R is that it’s a radio worth purchasing. For what it is and its price, the UV-5R model is of great value. It is not the best handheld you can get, but it is undoubtedly the best for the money.View on Amazon*
Best Lists with this Walkie Talkie
Comparisons with this Walkie Talkie