As part of our walkie-talkies round-up, I searched various products. One of them was the Retevis RT628. This little beast is an excellent choice for kids and a very popular walkie-talkie among parents. Its easy-to-use design and color scheme make it a perfect gift for kids. It features a built-in keyboard and a variety of channels. This kid-friendly radio will teach them about outdoor activities and help them get involved.View on Amazon*
- Brand: Retevis
- Range: 2 to 4 kilometers
- Power output: 0.5 watts
- Frequency ranges: US – 462-467 MHz (FRS); EU – 446 MHz (PMR446)
- Battery: 2 Lithium Ion / AA Battery
- Size: 6.2 x 2.1 x 1.1 inches
- Weight: 0.20 lbs
- Waterproof: no
- License needed: no
Scope of Delivery
The scope of delivery of the Retevis RT628 is quite manageable. The walkie-talkie is shipped in a compact cardboard box. It contains two radios and an instruction manual. In addition, there is a belt clip on each walkie-talkie. The required 3 AA batteries for each device must be purchased separately accordingly.
The Retevis RT628 package comes with a user manual, which explains the operation of the radio. For kids struggling with the button, there’s a way to make it easier for them to learn through its voice-activation mode. When accidentally hitting the power button, it will activate the channel scan, so it has to be kept away from children as much as possible.
First, when you use a Retevis RT628 walkie, you should insert the rechargeable or AA Battery.
Second, you have to press the PTT button and hold it down for it to transmit, and then release it when it’s finished.
Third, lock the settings. To do that, you must hold the menu button for at least 3 seconds. The Lock settings are essential, especially for kids, to ensure they stay on the same channel as you.
I could not find any information about the water resistance of the Retevis RT628. Since this is a simple radio for children, I assume it is not waterproof.
Accordingly, children should rather not use it in places where moisture could get into the device. Otherwise, damage to the walkie-talkie is risked.
The Retevis RT628 is powered by 3 AA batteries. For me, this was enough to operate the walkie-talkie for several days with occasional use. If I used it more intensively, the batteries always lasted just under two days. However, it should be noted that there are differences in the runtime depending on the brand, the condition, and the charge level of the batteries.
Alternatively to the 3 AA batteries, the battery packs from Retevis can also be used for the RT628. According to the manufacturer, they are fully charged in about 4 hours and have a runtime of 8 to 72 hours. Unfortunately, I could not test to what extent this is true. However, the batteries can easily be recharged via a micro-USB cable.
This walkie-talkie radio can reach up to 2 kilometers long so that they can be used for outdoor activities. When used on a hilltop, it can reach up to 10 km away. Meanwhile, when used on flat land, it can reach up to 3-4 km.
RT628 walkie-talkie is a portable licensed-free device everyone can use to play and communicate. RT628 uses a high-frequency band 462-477MHz with 22 channels. In Europe, it uses a frequency band 446MHz. Though you can use it in parts of Europe, it only reaches eight channels.
The Retevis RT628 is a good-looking two-way radio with plenty of good features:
- VOX Function:
- With the VOX function, children can speak directly to the microphone without using the PTT button.
- Mute Button:
- The mute button on your Walkie-Talkie RT628 prevents a caller from hearing you. It only works for short pauses to allow the caller to call.
- Call Tones:
- Call tones are typically used to indicate the status of a Walkie-Talkie call.
- Auto Squelch/CTCSS:
- The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS setting prevents the receiver’s audio output from being interrupted. Also, the CTCSS, or auto-squelch is a noise reduction system that can reduce unwanted noise in your conversations.
- These Walkie talkies have at least 22 channels wide, and you can now communicate with others through these channels.
- This key lock is especially useful for children to prevent them from accidentally changing the channel while playing or using it.
- Belt Clip:
- It features a belt clip that can be attached to clothes or placed anywhere. It also has an adjustable volume with a clear sound.
The Retevis RT628 Walkie-Talkies are an excellent gift for anyone who likes to interact with audio. For under $30, these electronic toys are super-advanced and can last for years, depending on usage.
The package includes the walkie-talkie itself, belt clips, and user manual. The Retevis RT7 is a good choice for people wanting to start using walkie-talkies.
- It has an excellent range of channels and high frequencies
- This walkie-talkie is very affordable
- It has a special feature for a child to use properly
- The battery is rechargeable, durable, and strong
- Easy to set up and use
- It is not waterproof.
- The range may drop when you use it on obstructed fields.
- The design is so simple.
Conclusion – Retevis RT628 Review
For most people, it can be a challenge to find something that is both entertaining and practical. In fact, a walkie-talkie is a great alternative for parents who are not comfortable with giving their kids smartphones. The Retevis RT628 is a great addition to any collection for kids or adults. It offers a variety of features that make it suitable for both indoor and outdoor play and communication.View on Amazon*
What can I do if the Retevis RT628 is not working?
If your radio can’t turn on normally, please test it by using this method:
- You check the battery of your walkie if it is low. If so, charge it immediately.
- If the switch knob is not working, try removing it and turning it on with a metal object.
Where can I find a Manual with Instructions for the Retevis RT628?
In order to access the Retevis RT628 user manual, you can click this link.