The Retevis RT7 model comes from the business radios by the Retevis brand. Retevis specializes in providing two-way radios that are suitable for every setting. If you’re looking for a starter radio, why not try the Retevis RT7?
The model has an ergonomic design that boasts simplicity. It may come from a line of business radios, but children and non-technical users won’t have a hard time with the RT7. Below is some background and review on the performance of the model.
- Brand: Retevis
- Range: not stated
- Power output: 5 Watts
- Frequency ranges: 400-470 MHz (UHF)
- Battery: Li-ion 1,500 mAh
- Size: 4.80 x 2.17 x 1.10 inches
- Weight: 0.38 lbs
- Waterproof: no
- License needed: yes (FCC License)
Scope of Delivery
The Retevis RT7 has a lot of inclusions in its basic package. It’s best to double-check the package once you get it to ensure that you get all the items part of the price. From the user manual to some accessories, make sure these items are part of the package that comes to your door:
- Retevis RT7 Portable Radio
- Li-Ion battery
- Belt clip
- User manual
If you want to add more accessories, you need to buy the items separately. Some of the popular additions to the model are a speaker microphone, D-style earpiece, and programming cable.
For all electronic devices, initial setup and programming can be a hassle. Well, you don’t need to worry about the Retevis RT7 as it is easy to set up the device and use it afterward.
First, put out all the package inclusions and locate the battery pack. Insert it at the battery latch of the handset and turn on the handset. Install the other parts of the handset like the antenna and the belt clip to the proper places.
Check for the power levels of the battery and charge the device if the battery is running low. Set the channel you will use to communicate and test the handset, earpiece, and microphone.
The Retevis RT7 is not waterproof. However, it can withstand long hours of usage. The device is weatherproof, so you don’t need to worry about the different weather conditions every day affecting the performance of the Retevis RT7.
The Retevis RT7 makes use of a 1500 mAh Lithium-Ion battery. You can use the walkie-talkie for as much as 8 hours before recharging the device for full battery power. The standard-duty cycle of the battery is 5% transmit, 5% receive, and 90% standby.
The inclusions come with a charger and an adapter for charging the model. Once the low battery alert starts to alarm in the RT7 handset, charge the device.
There is no specified maximum distance range for this two-way radio. The environment and setting affect the reception of the radios; as such, there are different ranges that a walkie-talkie can cover.
For example, for clear paths, you can communicate as far as 35 miles. In an open field, distance can range anywhere within 6 miles. For commercial settings and buildings, the device can go as much as 2 miles only.
The Retevis RT7 has a power output of 5 Watts.
The RT7 uses the Ultra High Frequency band ranging from 400-470 MHz. The device has a channel capacity of 16 channels. You may need to apply for an FCC License for some channels from GMRS services.
For commercial use of the RT7, it’s best to apply for an FCC License for businesses in the United States of America. The FCC License falls under the compliance to use these services in the States.
The feature of any product makes or breaks the sale of the product. Depending on what you’re looking for, the RT7 may be the best walkie-talkie device for your needs. These are some of the features and functions of the device.
- VOX function:
- For a hands-free use of the RT7, the Vox function supports the device. It’s now possible to talk and communicate without pressing down on a button.
- The Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or Digital Coded Squelch is present in the RT7. You may now switch either mode to mute user tones, so you don’t need to hear other devices.
- Digital FM Radio:
- Who doesn’t love a good FM radio channel service to listen to when you’re out? The RT7 supports an FM radio in the handset so that you can listen to something as a pastime.
- Emergency alert:
- Emergencies are unpredictable, and it’s always necessary to get urgent help as soon as possible. The Retevis RT7 allows for an emergency alert in case of unfortunate instances.
- Scan function:
- The Retevis RT7 can scan available channels in your area. All you need to do is tap in the channel with the other people you’ll be talking to.
- Auto battery saver mode:
- Battery use is crucial when you are outdoors. You would want to save as much power as possible. The RT7 has the auto saver mode to make your device more efficient in function and battery usage.
- Flashlights can be useful outdoors, especially when you’re in a dark area at night. The RT7 has a built-in flashlight you can use at any time. Ensure that the device has a good power level first to use the flashlight.
- Software programming:
- Programming the settings of the Retevis RT7 is now more accessible when you have a computer nearby. Just download the firmware for the device and refer to the instruction manual.
A Retevis RT7 package costs as much as $30. The package includes the radio device and other primary inclusions, such as the earpiece and handset sling. Relative to other radio brands, the Retevis RT7 has a low cost.
In line with the price of the Retevis RT7, the device performs a good job. The device’s features are simple, and it’s best as a starter radio device for anybody starting with walkie-talkies.
Moreover, with the product inclusions, you can’t beat the package of the model. For other brands in the market, you may need to buy an earpiece set and handset sling separately. The total price includes a lot of items that are otherwise additional for other brands of two-way radios.
- Has a lot of inclusions in the model package
- Affordable walkie talkie model from a reputable brand
- Easy to update and upgrade the system of the device using the PC programmable software
- Lightweight two-way radio
- Compact design
- The design is fit for children, the elderly, and people who are not very confident in the technical details of electronic device
- The battery may become an issue for longer hours of use
- It’s not waterproof
- Other models may have a more robust casing than the Retevis RT7
Conclusion – Retevis RT7 Review
Whether or not it’s your first time buying a two-way radio device, quality is key. If you want to maintain a durable radio device, it’s best to limit use and exposure.
The Retevis RT7 is an affordable model considering all the inclusions of the model package. It’s designed for more casual, indoor use as it is not waterproof and will likely break down with minimal water submersion.
If you’re venturing into how walkie-talkies work, the RT7 is a suitable beginner device. You can start with using the RT7 and work your way with other devices with more advanced features.
Where can I find a manual for the Retevis RT7?
To access the user manual of the Retevis RT7, click here.
What are the default frequencies of the Retevis RT7?
- Channel 1: 462.56250 MHz
- Channel 2: 462.58750 MHz
- Channel 3: 462.61250 MHz
- Channel 4: 462.63750 MHz
- Channel 5: 462.66250 MHz
- Channel 6: 467.56250 MHz
- Channel 7: 467.58750 MHz
- Channel 8: 467.61250 MHz
- Channel 9: 446.00625 MHz
- Channel 10: 446.01875 MHz
- Channel 11: 446.03125 MHz
- Channel 12: 446.04375 MHz
- Channel 13: 446.05625 MHz
- Channel 14: 446.06875 MHz
- Channel 15: 446.08125 MHz
- Channel 16: 446.09375 MHz